As a business entrepreneur it’s easy to get caught up in the business operations. At times we spend more time working IN the business than ON our business. This is precisely why a coach will keep you focused on moving the business forward in the direction of your goals.
A coach will help you to discover your long-term goals and will then make you focus on the game and your long-term strategies. Together, you and your coach will get clear on the end goal of your business. This includes getting clear on your Vision, Mission and Culture.
When you begin the process of strategic planning, visioning comes first. When visioning the change, ask yourself, “What is our preferred future?” Your vision must be encompassed by your beliefs. Your Vision statement must be future oriented and portray your organization as it will be, as if it already exists. Your Vision statement must be a short statement, not more than one or two sentences.
The long-term benefits are substantial. Visioning:
- Identifies your direction and purpose. Creates the Big Picture.
- Breaks you out of boundary thinking.
- Provides continuity and avoids the stutter effect of planning fits and starts.
- Promotes interest and commitment.
- Promotes laser-like focus.
- Encourages openness to unique and creative solutions.
- Encourages and builds confidence.
- Builds loyalty through involvement (ownership).
- Results in efficiency and productivity.
Once you have clarified your beliefs, build on them to define your mission statement which is a statement of purpose and function.
- Your mission statement draws on your belief statements.
- Your mission statement like your Vision must be future oriented and portray your organization as it will be, as if it already exists.
- Your mission statement must focus on one common purpose.
- Your mission statement must be specific to the organization, not generic.
- Your mission statement must essentially be about carrying out your Vision.
What does it look like in the end? Operate your business as if you are building the value to one day sell. What would need to be put in place to make your company capture a nice price when you go to sell one day? These are the decisions your coach can help you make, and will ensure that you focus on the vision and mission. When you get derailed, he will get you back on track to work ON your business instead of IN your business.